Notifications
Clear all

What will it take for African countries to overcome regulatory barriers that necessitate regulatory cooperation?

7 Posts
6 Users
4 Likes
(@admin)
Active Member Admin
Topic starter  

What will it take for African countries to overcome regulatory barriers that necessitate regulatory cooperation?

(@knkai)

In my view there requires a concerted effort by African governments towards addressing this constraint up to the highest political level as the various application of standards by various African countries is leading to NTBs

ReplyQuote
(@gracek)

In my opinion since this a policy issue I suppose that the governments through regional integrations blocks, need to avoid unnecessary barriers to trade because of different norms and standards and ways of applying them. I understand that each country may have unique needs and circumstances, one norm or standard could never be valid for the whole world. Yet the underlying objectives for safety and protection are widely shared and could be the basis for better and convergent regulations that bring a minimum of disruption to traders and producers. In a nutshell,  regional integration, political will and harmonisation of the regulatory framework across board is key.there must be a win-win situation

ReplyQuote
(@gracek)

@knkai very true.

ReplyQuote
(@plakoh)

In My opinion, African countries have difference in the policy and regulation formation as it is been agreed  by law(Government) ,therefore it may not be the same with other countries, i think there should be a platform were all countries that are within the same bloc or region  meet to share ,compare and if not totally harmonized/aligned their regulations or policy but find a way that all will be capable to comply. All regulations and policy will be shared with other countries and  amended to facilitated trade compliance  .

ReplyQuote
(@rjohnson)

In my own view the following need to be considered for African countries to overcome regulatory barriers that necessitate regulatory cooperation:

1. We need to see Africa as one because there is no border between Africa countries for us to overcome regulatory barriers.
  2. There is need for us to harmonize our policies, regulation, strategies and framework to strengthen continental cooperation.
  3. As Africa continent we need to have harmonized SPS/TBT standards and tools in order to minimize or get rid of regulatory barriers and facilitate trade.
  4. Our various regional economic blocs need to have harmonized action plans and vision in facilitating trade within the continent and with other continents.
  5. As a continent we need to have a regional SPS and Intra-African Trade committee and board that will review SPS standards for harmonization and effective monitoring.
  6. Our leaders need to be focused on equipping and strengthen national institutions implementing standards and facilitating trade. They also need to give their total political will and support to ensure implementation of standards and policies, regulation and Act.

ReplyQuote
(@cpopoh)

Glad to join this forum. Here is my response to this question. Firstly, the whole issue of regulatory cooperation will be achieved by the harmonization of laws and policies across the RECs that are the building blocks of continental cooperation. Secondly, the authorities in these African countries must also be transparent in implementing their regulatory laws and policies. There must be mutual trust among the authorities in enforcing the regulations.

ReplyQuote
Share: